Saturday, January 12, 2008

Being nice

Being nice. Its not bad. Its rather nice to be nice actually.
But what about perpetual Mr. Nices like me? Who can't help but greet every mortal on this earth with a stupid smile; who can't help but agree that they see a point in most ideas of most people; who can't help but thrust their shoulder in front whenever anybody evenly remotely acquainted is looking for one to soak with their tears and who can find it most difficult thing in the world to openly criticize or belittle someone?
Well, then being nice can become equivalent to being an ass, as I continuously come across people who give me their piece of mind and their judgment and their rude remarks left, right and center knowing fully well that I am a nice (read weak, for them) guy. And nice guys aren't rude in return.
Only,... that I have now learnt to be. I give it back to them with the same (at times more) ferocity than they hurled it my way.
But I can't do it all the time. That's not what I am. When I decide to get rude or even curt with someone, that's not me, it is just a mask I have to wear in self-defense. And at times when I am not able to do it, I must not be upset about it, and I am learning that as well.
Plus, I shouldn't bother too much, coz even if they do think I am weak and incompetent, they do fall in love with me anyway.

7 comments:

Surrendered Emotions said...

wanted to ask u this long back actually ... about this being "nice" and all ... how does it feel really i mean not relatively but absolutely ... concerning just u (and not with regards to others) ... this is a curiosity from someone who is absolutely the 180 degrees opposite to being "nice" on a 2 D plane!

rahul said...

It feels like the most normal thing in the world. Effortless. Except when it backfires :-(

Gagan Bhatti said...

This is a common problem with me too. People often misjudge my non aggressive nature as being week. TO make it worse some even tag me as a snob!!!!!!! ( Just coz I am reserved at times)

RDD said...

So many posts?? Gosh. Its like a reborn pheonix. Why do I feel distant already?

rahul said...

Distant? How?

RDD said...

I start thinking were you really being nice to me?? Or was it just "putting up a smile on your face"? I mean, there have been times when I have been rude. But then again, its all a blur.

rahul said...

"Putting a smile" all the time even when the other person is rude, is precisely what I am talking about...
I'd like to think I've stopped doing that, but I know I have some way to go really.