Thursday, May 04, 2006

The checkup

Today I met the most amazing doctor ever.

There was a free health checkup at our office and I went to get myself checked for the heck of it (basically coz it was free and i had a sore throat since times immemorial). I was telling the doctor about a previous problem when he started to discuss my sex life! I was frank and told him that I did have it, not too regularly but not too irregularly either. He simply looked on and asked... with females or...? After recovering from the initial shock of his frankness and a sudden spurt of curiousity, I told him about my interest in men.
Then he actually discussed things about safety, being very open and advising me a lot (most of the stuff I knew anyway) about myself and my partner, monogamity et al included. I was obviously curious and seeing the quite cute smile, I shot the question whether it was coming out of "personal experience". But he replied "No. Out of the multiple patients we see."
Well patients every doctor sees, but never ever has anyone been frank about this or taken an interest out of the routine. I felt really nice about his intention of helping out, taking a couple of minutes out of the physician's skin.

1 comment:

rahul said...

Ya nice to see how the professionals are able to leave aside social biases and be of genuine help. Nicer if they are cute too ;-)