Thursday, January 14, 2010

Summing up the day

Got to write. Got to write.

Finally, got to write. My self-promised one to two hours of reading and writing everyday have not happened, quite like many other things that haven't happened due to laziness.

At least, there is the book club which enables a monthly read at least, there should perhaps be a writing club as well where posts from everyone's blog will be discussed. That way, my scribblings will become more regular.

Got cross tonight when I couldn't make it to badminton. The 5 min discussion with the boss at the last moment became a 40 min pseudo-interview. And I was left with a bitter taste, not just because I missed baddie YET again, but because the not-so-distant past came to haunt me. The permanent role on offer looks set to be not as rewarding monetarily as the contracting role, which wasn't entirely unexpected, though the main factor for irritation here is the fact that my salary at the previous permanent employer got dragged into the discussion. Now I could have been dishonest and bragged of a higher figure or imaginary extras but I did not. And the fact of the matter is that we 'offshore' hires were paid quite bloody peanuts when I moved to London. Now how much-so-ever I try and reason that my market value was at that time much higher than I was being paid, the bar has been set. And I was annoyed that I at that very moment did not clarify my minimum expectations today, and I am now waiting until tomorrow to do so. But the fact that I will take the risk of speaking out the sum-expected loudly and clearly tomorrow, meant that I felt much better quickly.

Then watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and loved it. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem were amazing, as was the whole plot and set-up. Was reminded of Barcelona and want to go back soon for a longer trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Permanent positions will always attract a lower salary than an interim rate. The overheads of on-costs and HR law justify it.

rahul said...

Mr. anonymous?