Monday, April 21, 2008

Networking

Gay Networking, had a first ever experience a few weeks ago when we went to the LGBT movie festival followed by the Interbank drinks event the next week.
It was good to know richer gay people for a change, and encouraging that people were comfortable and open in their workplaces, so much so that they came out to network with other gay men and women.
The thought at the back of my mind was of continous doubt as to the exact intention why people were attending these events in the first place. Especially at the interbank, the attendees were 99% men, which left me wondering whether it was a hunting ground for posh flesh hunters. Some of this doubt was concretized this saturday after our dinner with one of the new contacts I had met there. There was a certain desperation in the manner of this respected gentleman that left a seriously bad taste in the mouth, although I did receive my share of flak for being a "cock-tease" which I have been accused of being many times before by others as well, in subtle hints if not directly. However, there were few people at the event who were there for the purpose of serious social networking with similar people in similar industry, and if individuals do decide that they fancy one another for a steamy session under the covers, that's there own sweet will and no one else's business.
I must say I did meet a few interesting and friendly people on both occasions, and had a good time dining with one of the married couples from the movie nite, later on. Married for ten years, they were the first and only married gay couple in London I know till date.
This, of course, will give me a good platform to build upon, if I indeed decide to stay on in London and look for better and varied career opportunities in Financial services industry. I do have to work a tad harder to get my act together in terms being well verse with all aspects of the domain I am involved with currently.
One crazy thing that dawns upon you is that with such networking events happening, where you are able to identify higher positioned individuals in the industry who may be attracted to you sexually, it may become possible for good looking associates and analysts to sleep their way up the ladder to good positions and good money. And I thought it was only the fashion or media where such a thing was a possibility!

1 comment:

Surrendered Emotions said...

one word - shocking!