Thursday, February 07, 2008

Second Best

First the update, I should be shifting to Waterloo soon, right in ZONE UNO, and yes I am excited. :-)

Now on to the lament...
All the material things that come to me are the second best.
It is such a regular feature of my life, that it is scary and funny at the same time. Be it the choice of college, specialization, work project, house location, movie at the cinema or the dish that I order, I am usually denied my first choice by fate. Something or the other has to be wrong even in the best thing that comes my way, which leaves me in a "happy but could have been happier" state.
I should indeed be grateful that I get the second choice and not have to wait for the nth, but being the selfish prick I am, I don't always rejoice in this fact.
One concern that suddenly arises in my mind is that if I believe in the above too much, I might automatically start working less hard to get my first choice, knowing that I will eventually end up with the second choice anyway.

4 comments:

Mayank said...

I didn't get the update...pls explain :(

Anonymous said...

kya kya second best mila hai...?..

ab accept hi karlo... sab kuch nahi milta.....

Contradictions of the Heart and Mind said...

hmmm am i also only the second best??????? i know i am not even close there but anyways no harm in making my point hai na....
there are so many things that have been the best that you have received so focus on those and not the ones that you havent got ..... and i am sure you will find the best in everything coz am praying hard fr you to find it easily...
hugs

rahul said...

Rohan, I said it was only about material things! My friends are the bestest things I could have asked for, and you are up there!